Monday, March 22, 2010

That's one small crop for a man... one giant harvest for mankind.

I know, it's a cheesy title but it is quite true.
(Please, do NOT press the F5 key when you create a blog entry, this is the 2nd time I'm doing the first post *sigh*)

So what is this blog about? Two things, really: 1: I love food! 2: I'll be growing my own.
This is not just about gardening, this is about transforming an old fox barn from the previous owner into a wonderful vegetation oasis that you can eat off of. Literally. So let's begin:

Method: Square foot Gardening (by Mel Bartholomew)
You may remember him from his past PBS and other channel shows. He has to be the greatest "WTF is that all about" thinker of all time. He took row gardening and transformed the drudgery into a cakewalk. Well, at least from what I can tell. You see, I have not started my new Square Foot Garden (SFG) yet. It's in the works. Let me show you what I have to work with.

The area:
An old fox barn, very stinky and useless. This is the after photo from last years demolition of the barn (which incidentally gave me severe carpal tunnel and I had to get surgery 2 months ago.) It used to be very smelly and had all sorts of junk in it. Since the rains and winter washed away and stomped the old fox poop into the ground, now it's just a half junk filled space. So this is my official 'before' photo.

Photobucket

Mel said in his book and videos, "The best wood, is free wood." Well, I agree with that. So here is the material that I will be using to create the SFG boxes and fix the perimeter so deer don't come for a late night snack.

Photobucket
Yep, that's a ton of wood... well, maybe 1/2 a ton or so but that will be used for:
a: the planters
b: the perimeter fence
c: any other project that needs wood.

And if the deer are really hungry, they could just much on the leftovers in the compost bin.

Photobucket
That used to be full! But since the warm weather started, the bin finally started doing it's work. Creating the best dang compost I ever had.

So, that's it for my first post. I'll show you my seeds and the veg that I am about to grow in the next post. This will be quite the summer.

4 comments:

  1. Great use of lumber on the scene.
    I hope it all works out well for you and no more operations.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, quiltbea, that surgery is not something I want to go through again. Now it's the battery drill and screws.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the headline of this post! Once your square foot garden is set up that hard manual work will be done. Keep posting updates with pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fox barn? Very interesting, please explain.

    ReplyDelete