Friday, July 9, 2010

Half-hearted efforts give half-hearted results.

OK, I am NOT a farmer, I'll admit to that right now. I am NOT a farmer. This does not mean that I can be excused for not making an effort in keep my garden working.
Well, it's been over a month since I last posted and I have a lot to review.
Ahem... List form of things that I have learned:
  1. More sunlight = more growth. Less sunlight = crappy growth
  2. Slugs will eat in order; Marigolds, dying parts of plants, bush beans, everything
  3. If you leave the garden to grow and not tend to it for 3 days, everything will go to crap
  4. Thistle can turn into the size of a tree
  5. Slugs like beer, slugs will stink if left dead in beer for more than 3 weeks
  6. Good help is hard to find; Bad advice is easy
  7. When you find the good help, keep them happy with Rhum and Beer.
  8. It's OK to rip out the stuff that is not growing well.
  9. Some seeds are just crap
  10. Trees shade a lot more when they have leafed out.
So it was not a banner start to my gardening experience. I know where I went wrong on some stuff, I know I need to make an effort with others.

One thing is for certain, pests will eat your food. It's all about survival in the gardening world, protect your food and don't be fooled by thinking that the slugs will not eat your crop overnight and that those crows are dumb. Crows will work in teams and there is always a lookout. When you see a crow in a tree close to your garden, there are 4 crows in the garden looking for your tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment